Connaught Bar, London, ranks No.1 in The World’s 50 Best Bars 2020 and is also The Best Bar in Europe, sponsored by Perrier
- The 2020 list features bars from 23 countries, with 11 new entries spread across Australia, Colombia, Greater China, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, Spain, Thailand and UK
- Drinks sector activist and educator Ashtin Berry is named the Roku Industry Icon
- Alquímico, Cartagena, clinches Ketel One Sustainable Bar Award
- Tayēr + Elementary, London, secures Disaronno Highest New Entry Award
- Coa in Hong Kong takes Nikka Highest Climber Award
- High Five, Tokyo, is named Heering Legend of The List
- Kwānt, London, is awarded London Essence Best New Opening Award
- Dante, New York, is The Best Bar in North America, sponsored by Asahi Super Dry
- Atlas, Singapore, is The Best Bar in Asia, sponsored by Rémy Martin
- Maybe Sammy, Sydney, is The Best Bar in Australasia, sponsored by Torres Brandy
- Zuma, Dubai, is The Best Bar in the Middle East and Africa, sponsored by Matusalem
- Florería Atlántico, Buenos Aires, is The Best Bar in South America, sponsored by iichiko Saiten
Other special awards announced in the run-up to the event on 5th November include Maybe Sammy, Sydney, winner of Michter’s Art of Hospitality Award; Galaxy Bar, Dubai, winner of Campari One To Watch Award; and Renato ‘Tato’ Giovannoni of Florería Atlántico, Buenos Aires, winner of Altos Bartenders’ Bartender Award. The 51-100 list 2020, presented in association with Mancino Vermouth, was released the week before the virtual ceremony.
The list of The World’s 50 Best Bars 2020, sponsored by Perrier, was announced in an online awards ceremony on 5th November at 3pm UK time. During extensive consultations with industry figures, its Academy Chairs, bar owners, bartenders and partners, the 50 Best organisation received widespread support for releasing a ranking that aims to bind the community even closer together and provide positive news for bars as they enter the next stage of recovery from the global pandemic.
The 12th edition of the annual ranking features bars from 23 countries and sees London’s Connaught Bar clinch the No.1 spot and take home The World’s Best Bar and The Best Bar in Europe awards.
Under the masterful leadership of Agostino Perrone, the venue’s Director of Mixology, Connaught Bar stays true to its principles of presenting artful drinks with graceful service in an elegant setting. Designed by the late David Collins, the Cubist-inspired bar celebrated its 10th year in 2018 and is known for its unique Martini trolley, where bartenders give a personalised drinks experience to guests.
At No.2 is last year’s winner Dante, New York, which also takes The Best Bar in North America title, sponsored by Asahi Super Dry. Coming in at No.3 is The Clumsies, Athens, while Singapore’s Atlas lands at No.4 and is The Best Bar in Asia, sponsored by Rémy Martin.
Mark Sansom, Content Editor for The World’s 50 Best Bars, says: “We want to extend our heartfelt congratulations to all the venues on the 2020 list of The World’s 50 Best Bars. We are continually heartened by the industry’s resilience and positivity as countries continue to operate in varying degrees of recovery. Hats off to Connaught Bar, undoubtedly one of the finest cocktail bars of our time. The institution has earned a place on the list every year since 2010 and it has gradually grown in stature to become the world-beating bar it is today. Ago Perrone and his team are dedicated to excellence and look at every element of the guest experience to choreograph a faultless service. The Martinis aren’t bad, either.”
“We at 50 Best hope that the announcement of The World’s 50 Best Bars 2020 will act as a show of strength for the global bar community. It displays to the world that even in the face of the ever-shifting challenges and restrictions being thrown at them, bars are still doing everything that they can to continue to provide great hospitality experiences. As we move into the next stages of international recovery, it is vital to get the message out that bars are open for business and ready to receive guests safely and securely.”
Elisa Gregori, Perrier International Business Unit Director, says: “On behalf of Perrier – and as the leading partner of The World’s 50 Best Bars and 50 Best for Recovery – we feel proud of the strong collaboration, solidarity and funds we have raised together helping the heart of international bar community. This year, we are particularly proud to show our appreciation to all the bars that have
made the list during such a hard time. The pandemic has heavily impacted the entire hospitality industry and the situation remains shaped by uncertainty, yet the industry is adapting quickly and we believe it will return stronger after these difficult times.”